Ahh this looks amazing, I can't wait to try it out once I've started my visual novel project! I've been looking for a way to make visual novels in godot and this seems like the perfect solution for someone who has no experience making games.
A downloadable Rakugo
Sponsor this project: https://www.patreon.com/rakguoteam
Our new Web page: https://rakugoteam.github.io/
Rakugo Core Docs: https://rakugoteam.github.io/rakugo-docs/
Inspired by Ren’Py, Rakugo is a project aiming to provide a way to make narrative-based games on Godot easily. Simplify your project, if it is a visual novel, point and click, RPG, interactive text game or many other styles and blends of styles.
Here is Project github: https://github.com/rakugoteam
Please consider joining the official team.
If your game uses Rakugo write to me on Discord.
- Save/Load system
- Dialogue scripting langue similar to Ren'Py
- Dialog system
- Documentation: https://rakugoteam.github.io/docs/
If your game uses Rakugo, tell us on Discord.
To install Rakugo plugin, download it as a ZIP archive. Extract the
addons/Rakugo folder into your project folder. Then, enable the plugin in project settings and restart Godot-Engine.
If you want to know more about installing plugins you can read the official documentation page.
Q: So it's about adding a refined writing and dialogue system to the engine? A: Yes, and more - nodes, objects and funcs to make easy to provide mechanics like in point&click and rpgs.
Q: As a scenarist, what would I gain from using Rakugo over Ren'Py or Twine ? A: It is made as godot addon - you can use all godot features. You can make your game 2d, 2.5d or 3d - you can only 2d in Ren'Py. You can easy add minigames or mix it with other game genre. It will have mechanics for point&click games and rpgs - Ren'Py and Twine are only for vn. This project's dialog functions can do more than Ren'Py equivalents.
Q: How does the project interact with the engine ? A: For now this project is a singleton and a collection of special nodes. There is also gui include in example project that is connected with the project and has all functions like in a Ren'Py game.
Q: Is it easy to use ? A: For now it is not that easy as I want it to be, but I am working to make it use RakuScript (this project's own language) and visual script.
If you want to help please write to us on our Discord.
- Rakugo Team website: https://rakugoteam.github.io/
- Docs repo here: https://github.com/rakugoteam/Docs
- Godot icons
- icons from game-icons.net
- Free vn game assets
|Updated||10 days ago|
|Genre||Adventure, Role Playing, Visual Novel|
|Made with||Inkscape, Godot|
|Tags||Godot, Point & Click, rakugo, Ren'Py, Story Rich, Text based, Twine|
|Code license||MIT License|
|Asset license||Creative Commons Attribution v4.0 International|
|Average session||A few seconds|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Mouse, Touchscreen|
|Links||Homepage, Community, Docs, Roadmap, Patreon, Source code|
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- Rakugo Project Devlog #12: Show/Hide keywords in VisualNovelKit, Rakugo Core v...10 days ago
- Rakugo Project Devlog #11: Rakugo Core v 1.1.1 and VisualNovelKit new features42 days ago
- Rakugo Project Devlog #10: Visual Novel Kit 1.0-beta.2Sep 08, 2022
- Rakugo Project Devlog #9: Rakugo Core 1.1, Visual Novel Kit 1.0-beta.1, and Adve...Sep 07, 2022
- Rakugo Project 3.3 Devlog #8: First Release of Rakugo and Nice Example for youJul 27, 2022
- Rakugo Project 3.3 Devlog #7: First Pre-release of Rakugo and moreJun 23, 2022
- Rakugo Project 3.3 Devlog #6May 01, 2022
- Rakugo Project 3.3 Devlog #5 : RakuScriptFeb 18, 2022
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
I downloaded "The Question" to try it out. But the text doesn't display after a dialogue choice ?
Way godot works it makes that first time it load Rakugo plugin it load it in bad way. So try reopen project. I will look it to that, but it should works. Do you have any error messages ?
I'm using Godot 3.2.3
I reopened the project, the plugin is working.
There is no error message when the game is playing.